Welcome to the North Mandurah JFC Starkick Program.
The Starkick program is a fantastic all abilities program setup initially by the Coolbinia Bombers Football Club in Yokine. The program is a multi-award winning program started in 2015 and North Mandurah Magpies are the 5th club to implement the program.
The program is supported by the WAFC and the AFL and research programs continue to be run by Curtin University investigating the benefits the Starkick program has on physical, mental, social and personal development of all participants!
What is Starkick?
Starkick is an all abilities football program for children aged between 5 and 18 where children who, by circumstance or choice, are unable to join into our clubs existing football programs.
The North Mandurah Junior Football Club fully support the Starkick program throughout all age levels within the club and continue to support the inclusion of all children within the community through AFL footy Starkick activities.
How does it work?
The Starkick program is run as an integral part of the Auskick program within the North Mandurah footy club and is designed to promote full involvement and inclusion for all children of any ability into the mainstream club activities and events.
Additional support and volunteers are available to work one on one where necessary, with Starkick participants in a bid to develop their skills and abilities throughout the season
Benefits to children
- Children engage in games and activities geared towards their own abilities
- Inclusion and equality – A sense of belonging and being part of a wider team and club
- Children learn the basics of teamwork
- Children are provided with the necessary support and when required have access to 1 on 1 assistance.
- Children learn the basic principles and importance of physical activity
- Through specially arranged team activities, children learn important social skills, including cooperation and respect for others
- Contact with older children and adults provides valuable role model experiences
- Generally, children benefit from greater levels of confidence and self-awareness and improved health, fitness and overall well-being
- Physical activity develops motor and social skills and intellectual capacities.
- Physically active children are more attentive, have a more efficient memory, enhanced creativity and better learning, and problem solving and attitude capabilities
- Starkick aims to help children develop to their full potential but never forgetting the overall goal of having fun.
Benefits to parents
- Opportunities for safe, quality family time that results in family bonding
- A sense of belonging and community involvement
- The opportunity to engage with children and other families
- Greater social contact and interaction
Benefits to the community
- A stronger social fabric and improved community health
- Creating a framework for enhanced inclusion and acceptance for everyone
- An opportunity to reach out to all members of the community for inclusion within a Club based environment
- Enhanced family and non-family support networks
- Create awareness in the wider community for both children and adults
- Community structure serves as positive models for other community programs that rely on volunteer support
How do I sign up?
For all Starkick players – registrations are available through the SportsTG system using this link. As part of the program Starkick players will be provided with a footy pack and team gernsey to represent their Magpies Team!
How to I get involved?
If you are a parent of a Starkick player or would like to volunteer to be involved in this fantastic new initiative within the club, then please reach out to the Starkick Club Champion Pauric Doherty (0450 997 007 to discuss the program further)
If you are an organisation that supports and promotes all abilities engagement outcomes and would like to learn more about the program, the research, its benefits or to become specifically involved in the Starkick program within the North Mandurah Footy Club, then please contact the Starkick Club Champion Pauric Doherty on 0450 997 007.